How to Recognize Alcohol Poisoning in Your Loved One

How to Recognize Alcohol Poisoning in Your Loved One

alcohol poisoning

If you have a loved one who abuses alcohol, there is always a chance they could get alcohol poisoning. Many people believe that only those who have never used or hardly ever use can become poisoned because they have a much lower tolerance. However, many addicts need more and more alcohol to get drunk and this can lead to the alcohol poisoning. If you want to help an addict, it is beneficial to learn how to recognize alcohol poisoning.

Confused

If your loved one has an addiction and they have become poisoned by alcohol, you may notice they are confused. When there is a high level of alcohol in the body, there is even more noticeable confusion. You may notice that your loved one can’t even answer basic questions. They may answer the question with a completely unrelated response. This is very common. If you notice it in your loved one and want to help an addict, get them help right away.

Breathing Issues

Another one of the ways to recognize alcohol poisoning in your loved one is by noticing their breathing. When this happens to your loved one, their breathing will become labored. This is because of the way alcohol affects their respiratory system. This is extremely dangerous, especially if your loved one already has breathing issues. If your notice this in your loved one, get them emergency help immediately.

Puking

Another way to recognize alcohol poisoning in your loved one is if they are puking. If your loved one has consumed an excessive amount of alcohol and are puking because of that, they may be poisoned. This is very dangerous because on top of puking, they may pass out. Many addicts have died because of puking while being passed out. If this is happening with your loved one, get them help right away.

Lowered Body Temperature

When someone consumes a lot of alcohol, this affects their temperature. If you notice that your loved one is shivering, stating they are extremely cold, have pale skin or have a blue color to their skin, it is time to call emergency help for them.

These are some of the ways to recognize alcohol poisoning in your loved one. If you want to help an addict in your life, recognizing these symptoms will allow you to get them the help they need. Don’t be afraid to call 9-1-1 if needed. You could just save their life.